Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Chicks

An escapee from the box.
Every spring, I get two new chicks for our flock. Except, Tawanda Faye always comes along and her motto is 'if two is good, three is better'. *see results below.
I get them from Linnton Feed and Seed which is owned by one of my oldest friends in Portland. We went on a study abroad program to Brazil, back in the day. When I last stopped by the feed store, Dan showed me a mug of mine that he has been using to heat up his soup every single day for the past fifteen years. Needless to say, it was somewhat the worse for wear, what with banging around a feed store for so many years. I went home and dug through the archives and found one from the same series:
This is a really enormous mug, it holds a full quart when filled to the brim.
I gave it to him and he gave me:
50 pounds of layer feed and 25 pounds of chick feed... and three little black australourps.
These eggs are from our Auracanas, a type of chicken that lays pastel green or blue eggs ( I know they kind of look white in this picture but they are really very pretty in person, as are the chickens)
I like to make frittatas, a kind of Italian omelette with my nice fresh eggs. I didn't take a picture the last time I made one so this is Martha Stewart, not me with the skillet. It's very simple to make a frittata for a quick and easy dinner:

6 eggs, beaten
2-ounce Parmesan, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup leftover cooked potaotes
1/2 cup leftover vegetables (broccoli, or...)
optional~leftover cooked chicken or sausage
1 tablespoon chopped parsley or tarragon leaves
Preheat oven to broil setting.

In medium size bowl, using a fork, blend together eggs, Parmesan, pepper, and salt. Heat 12-inch oven safe saute pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil to pan. Add onion and saute until lightly caramelized. Add potatoes and vegetables and anything else that looks good and heat through. Pour egg mixture into pan and jiggle it around to spread over the vegetables. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and begins to set up on top. Place pan into oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and fluffy.

Remove from pan and cut into 4 servings. Serve hot or at room temperature.

I find it a very useful method for cleaning out the refrigerator.
And if you can't keep chickens where you live, you can buy this adorable little chick and maybe few of her friends from Rachel at Yarnigans.

5 comments:

  1. Hey,My mouth is watering after seeing your frittatas.
    Will definitely try making them..
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, those chicks!!! I wish they would stay small like that. I'd get like ten of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love your sweet chicks. B would flip for a chance to have chickens, we are working on Mr. French but I am not sure he is going to crack (no pun intended). Looks like you made a fabulous trade. Oh and don't get me started on that frittata.

    oh and just so you know I have nothing against tile. I actually I love it! It is just that particular tile I don't like. The finish on it is very matte and porous...not the sweet shiny tile. You will see in my post today that I actually am quite fond of tile in the artistic sense, much like your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cute purple chick!

    Best wishes.

    Sincerely,

    -Liane Schmidt.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.