Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Russian Cream

*little owl bowl, devoid of Russian Cream
The following dessert is commonly known as Swedish Cream, but I first came across it as Russian Cream and so, with utter disregard toward my Nordic heritage, that's what I call it too.
It is fantastically easy to make and just the thing to showcase perfect summer berries. (Um, or late fall fruit? I can't really picture this with apples or pears though...) Since I've waited so long to post this recipe, perhaps you'll just have to rely on all that frozen summery goodness you've stashed away.

Russian Cream

Combine in a saucepan & let stand to soften:
3/4 C. sugar
1 Tb. gelatin
1/2 C. water
Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Slowly add:
1 C. Cream
Followed by:
1 1/2 C. sour cream (or yogurt)
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix well and pour into six of your most charming small bowls,
leaving lots of room for fruit later, and chill for three hours or more.

To serve, top with fruit of your choice such as:
huckleberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
My standard treatment for the fruit is:
sprinkle with sugar, add a splash of triple sec (or Grand Marnier if you are feeling fancy), stir gently and let macerate for a bit. However, if you have any fruit syrup (like from the blackberries), use that too. *For blueberries, I would cook the berries with sugar, thicken with cornstarch, then add the liqueur.
I think the blackberries contrasting with the white cream is the most visually stunning combination, but you really can't miss with any berry. I have heard of this being done with cranberries too, but I haven't tried it.
One of the beauties of this recipe is how easy it is to multiply; I took thirty-five of these sweeties to a potluck one summer during raspberry season. Easy-peasy, as long as you have enough bowls (you could use mugs or cups too).
*mug, also devoid of Russian Cream
*cup, ditto on the Russian Cream

3 comments:

  1. Such wonderful vessels!

    "Droll" doesn't usually do it for me, but your animals do, and there's really no other word for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightfully droll. Thanks for the recipe! I want to make the fancy version, but in THOSE BOWLS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's their eyes, don't you think? I have one of the owlet bowls at home and the eyes kind of glare out at you; a grumpy owlet- my favorite.

    I specialize in droll, can't help it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.